Shmuel from Hungary in Munich


Each time I travel, I ask myself whether or not to openly wear my kippa. 

As antisemitism is on the rise in Europe, many advise not openly wearing a kippa for safety purposes.

Almost without exception, I do wear my kippa abroad. And, thank G-d, I have never had an unpleasant experience.

On the contrary, all sorts of people approach me, because they see I am Jewish.

I am currently in Munich (a short ride from Dachau...).

As I arrived, and am making my way into town, a guy starts shouting at me "I love Jews!". And "I hate the bloody German Nazis!".

I approached the man and struck up a conversation with him.

Why does he love the Jews? Because he is from Hungary and he was a child in the Jewish neighborhood. Although a gentile, his mother called him Shmuel.

Why does he hate the Germans? Because, being called Shmuel, he is often the victim of anti-semitism in his adopted home in Germany. 

He produced a kippa from his pocket, and posed for my photo, before heading on his way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why IS That Man Taking Such An Interest In My Child??

Will Motty Borger’s Suicide Make Any Difference?

Minister for Welfare Visits Lema'an Achai Today